Cooking With Gaz EP1 Veal Cotoletta alla Milanese
8 veal cutlets butterflied and tapped out
2 cups of flour heavily seasoned with salt and pepper
4 eggs beaten
150gr of grated parmesan
2 cups of panko breadcrumbs
100grms mixed of dried oregano and parsley
150 gr of butter for frying
150ml of olive oil for frying
150 gr butter sauce
100grms of capers
1. Place the butterflied veal chop into the flour, drop into the beaten eggs and then covered it with mixed in the bowl of parmesan breadcrumbs
2. Combine half the olive oil and half the butter in a large frying pan so that its approximately 4cm deep. Any shallower than 4cm and the cutlet won’t colour evenly
3. Once the butter foams, place the cutlet it in the pan. You can fry up to two cutlets at once
4. Pan fry for 3 minutes on each side till golden brown
5. Allow the oil and butter mix to reheat and removed the crumbs left behind.
Repeat step 4
Halfway through, replace oil and butter and repeat with the last 4 cutlets.
Once you have completed all 8 cutlets place them on a tray in the oven for 8 mins at 180c
Melt top quality butter in a pan add the capers after you have drained them
When the butter is melted add the juice of two lemons – your sauce is ready
Serve the cutlet on a plate with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes
Pour two spoonfuls of the sauce over the cutlet and some freshly ground black pepper.